PIXAPP will establish the world's first open access Photonic Integrated Circuit (PIC) assembly & packaging Pilot Line.
PIXAPP provides Europe's SMEs with a unique one-stop-shop, enabling them to exploit the breakthrough advantages of PIC technologies.
PIXAPP bridges the 'valley of death', providing SMEs with an easy access route to take R&D results from lab to market, giving them a competitive advantage over global competition.
Target markets include communications, healthcare & security, which are of great socio-economic importance to Europe. PIXAPP bridges missing gaps in the value chain, from assembly & packaging, through to equipment optimisation, test and application demonstration.
To achieve these ambitious objectives, PIXAPP will;
1) Combine a group of Europe's leading industrial & research organisations in an advanced PIC assembly & packaging Pilot Line facility.
2) Develop an innovative Pilot Line operational model that coordinates activities between consortium partners & supports easy user access through a single entry point.
3) Establish packaging standards that provide cost-efficient assembly & packaging solutions, enabling transfer to full-scale industrial manufacture.
4) Create the highly-skilled workforce required to manage & operate these industrial manufacturing facilities.
5) Develop a business plan to ensure Pilot Line sustainability & a route to industrial manufacturing.
PIXAPP will deliver significant impacts to a wide stakeholder group, highlighting how industrial & research sectors can collaborate to address emerging socio-economic challenges.